General Studies- I : Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society
Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of :
- Art Forms
- Literature and
- Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country
History of the world will include events from 18th century such as:
- Industrial Revolution
- World wars
- Redrawal of national boundaries
- Colonization & decolonization
- Political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.— their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent)
- Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as
- Volcanic activity
- Cyclone etc.,
- Geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization
- Population and associated issues
- Poverty and developmental issues,
- Urbanization, their problems and their remedies
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment